Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Having a client that needed this technique reminded me to write about it. One of the most common new mom questions is- " how do I know if the baby is getting enough when they breastfeed?" I was taught so many tiny ques and observations but the one I figured out makes the most practical sense. Weigh them. A simple and non invasive technique. Medical scales at the hospital or clinic are sensitive enough for this task. A newborn will take 2- 4 ounces in a feeding after moms milk is in. A minimum feed of 2 ounces shows sufficient amount of intake. So here is the method. Weigh the baby, leave clothes/ blanket on for comfort. This is not an official weight, rather an observational tool. Make sure the diaper is clean. Feed the baby until they are satisfied, then before you change their diaper weigh them again. The gross weight of the baby with clothing or balnket, feeding,and dirty diaper should show a net gain equalling the amount of milk ingested. Tell your friends and you can thank me now!
I sincerely believe this to be my own idea, however I can't believe no one ever thought of it before, so if you know if this technique has a name or someone claims prior credit; please let me know and I will give credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment